Skip to main content
Local News

Marino: New York Casino Boom Hasn't Hurt Atlantic City — At Least Not Yet

Peter Killeen
Peter KilleenAuthor
Published
Reading time4 min
Share:

ATLANTIC CITY — Expanded casino gambling in New York has long been viewed as one of the biggest competitive threats facing Atlantic City, but casino analyst Anthony Marino says the feared immediate hit to the resort's casinos hasn't materialized — at least so far.

Marino discussed the early numbers Monday during an appearance on The Don Williams Show on WOND, saying he has been closely tracking Resorts World New York City's performance since the Queens property transitioned from a video-lottery facility to a full commercial casino.

According to the New York State Gaming Commission, Resorts World ceased operating as a video lottery facility April 27 and began operating as a commercial casino April 28.

Marino said the early performance has been extraordinary.

“They continue to make money like I've never seen it made before in the casino industry of the United States,” Marino said.

But there is an important twist for Atlantic City.

Despite the explosive start in New York, Marino said the feared immediate decline in Atlantic City's in-person casino business hasn't occurred.

“In the last two months, Atlantic City's brick and mortar casinos have had positive outcomes,” Marino said. “So the fear that the impact of New York would immediately be felt here in Atlantic City doesn't yet seem to have come about.”

“I'm keeping a close eye on that,” he added.

Atlantic City Posts Strong July

Atlantic City's latest numbers give Marino's observation some support.

The city's nine casinos generated $304.2 million in in-person casino win during July, up 7.1% from July 2025 and representing the strongest July since 2012.

That followed a more difficult June, when Atlantic City's casino win was $257.3 million, down 0.7% from the previous year.

Marino stressed, however, that it is far too early to conclude that New York won't eventually take business from Atlantic City.

Resorts World's performance is precisely why he continues watching the numbers.

Marino said the New York casino is on pace for an enormous annual revenue total.

“Right now, as a full-fledged casino offering slot machines and table games, they're on a pace that will be over one and a half billion dollars,” Marino said.

The New York Gaming Commission's weekly reporting confirms Resorts World's transition to commercial casino operations in late April and provides continuing revenue data for the property.

A Long-Term Threat Remains

The expansion of casino gambling around New York City has been closely watched in Atlantic City because northern New Jersey and New York represent important feeder markets for the resort.

The concern is straightforward: gamblers who previously traveled south to Atlantic City may increasingly have full-service casino options much closer to home.

But Marino cautioned against drawing that conclusion from the first few months.

So far, he said, both things appear capable of happening simultaneously: New York's expanded casino market can produce enormous numbers while Atlantic City's casinos continue generating strong in-person revenue of their own.

Marino contrasted Resorts World's current performance with the earliest years of casino gambling in Atlantic City.

He recalled the enormous profitability of Resorts when Atlantic City's first casino opened in the late 1970s.

“They made 90 million dollars, which was like a king's ransom back in 1978,” Marino said.

But compared with the scale of gaming revenue now being generated in New York, Marino said those early Atlantic City figures look very different.

“We're talking about one point five billion and more,” Marino said of the pace he sees at Resorts World.

For Atlantic City, that makes the next several months particularly important.

The early evidence hasn't produced the immediate downturn some feared. But with a powerful new competitor operating in the New York metropolitan market, Marino isn't declaring Atlantic City out of danger.

For now, his assessment is considerably more encouraging:

The New York casino boom is real — but the expected damage to Atlantic City hasn't shown up yet.

South Jersey NewsBeat will continue tracking Atlantic City's casino revenue as the competition from New York develops.

Peter Killeen

About the Author

Peter Killeen

A 25-year radio news veteran, Peter covers South Jersey for NewsTalk 1400 & 92.3 WOND radio. Known for his concise and impactful delivery, he ensures listeners and readers stay informed without unnecessary filler.

Share:

Related Stories

Cape May Court House Runner's Golden Moment Goes Viral
Local News

Cape May Court House Runner's Golden Moment Goes Viral

Anthony Conner brought home gold from the Special Olympics USA Games in Minneapolis, but his spontaneous act of sportsmanship after the 1500-meter race captured hearts nationwide. The 35-year-old invited his competitors to share the top podium spot after one fell before the finish line.

8/18/2026
Karen Johnson
WOND - banner