ATLANTIC CITY — State Sen. Vince Polistina says Atlantic City appears to have at least a two-year reprieve from the threat of casinos opening in North Jersey, even as the resort prepares for increased competition from New York.
Polistina, R-Atlantic, discussed the casino landscape Wednesday during an appearance on The AC Mike Lopez Show on WOND, saying the deadline has passed for a proposed constitutional amendment allowing casino gaming outside Atlantic City to appear on this year's ballot.
More significantly, Polistina said he doesn't expect the issue to advance next year either.
“I think we have gotten ourselves at least two years here where it would even be considered,” Polistina said.

The issue resurfaced as New York moves forward with its expansion of downstate casino gaming. Polistina said some North Jersey legislators again introduced a proposal that could ultimately allow casinos outside Atlantic City.
“As New York gaming was ramping up, of course, some North Jersey legislators, not all, but primarily the one from Monmouth Park and the one from the Meadowlands introduced another question that would expand gaming to North Jersey,” Polistina said.
But Polistina said discussions with those lawmakers focused on the potential consequences for Atlantic City.
“We started talking with them and having a dialogue with them about the situation and about the fact that Atlantic City cannot deal with additional competition from our own state,” Polistina said. “It's just going to result in a situation that is going to significantly impact Atlantic City.”
‘We Will Lose Two, Three Casinos’
Polistina issued a stark warning about what he believes would happen if casinos were eventually permitted in North Jersey.
Supporters have previously argued that a portion of the revenue generated by North Jersey casinos could be directed to Atlantic City.
Polistina said that wouldn't make up for the economic damage.
“They were trying to say that we would get some of the proceeds here from some of that gaming,” Polistina said. “But I think when we pointed out to them that the revenue is one thing, and certainly money helps, but the issue would be here that we will lose two, three casinos and all of those jobs.”
The impact, he said, would extend well beyond casino employees.
“No amount of money is going to replace the fact that we are going to lose thousands of jobs,” Polistina said. “The impact that having that would have on the retail sector, on the housing sector — we've already lived through having the highest foreclosure rate in the nation. We absolutely do not want to go back there.”
Atlantic City went through a painful casino contraction during the previous decade as increased competition in neighboring states contributed to multiple casino closures and thousands of lost jobs.
Polistina said he believes conversations with North Jersey lawmakers have made an impact.
“I think as we were having a dialogue with them, I think they get it and they understand,” Polistina said. “The deadline has passed for it to be on the ballot this year. We know that it will not happen this year.”
Polistina Doesn't Expect Question in 2027 Either
Polistina went further, saying he believes the political calendar makes another push next year unlikely.
“I'm pretty confident in talking with them that we're not going to face it next year either because you have the election next year with all of the Senate and all of the Assembly up,” Polistina said.
“I don't think they're going to want to bring this up in the middle of next year's election.”
New Jersey voters rejected a constitutional amendment in 2016 that would have permitted two casinos in North Jersey.
Polistina said he believes voters might reject another referendum as well, but said merely putting the issue back into play could hurt Atlantic City by creating uncertainty for casino operators considering major investments.
“Probably if it even goes on the ballot, the voters would turn it down again, but nevertheless, it does create a threat and it creates some uncertainty in some of the operators' minds about making investments in Atlantic City,” Polistina said.
“This is not something that we want to mess around with. We want them to understand that competing with ourselves is not going to be good for anyone.”
New York Still Looms
While Polistina believes the immediate North Jersey threat has receded, he acknowledged that Atlantic City's casino industry still faces a major challenge from New York.
“We're going to lose some market share to New York. We know that,” Polistina said. “But I think we're in a much better position now to deal with that.”
Polistina said he has heard that Pennsylvania's casino market in Bethlehem has so far felt more of the impact than Atlantic City, but cautioned that the true effect may become clearer after the Shore's peak summer season ends.
“Of course, we're going to go into the fall here now,” Polistina said. “After the summer, we're going to have a little different situation. We certainly have to keep our eye on what is going on in New York and the impact that that's going to have.”
For now, however, Polistina sees one major advantage for Atlantic City.
“I think at least we're very fortunate we're not going to be competing with ourselves any time in the near future.”

About the Author
Peter Killeen
A 25-year radio news veteran, Peter covers South Jersey for NewsTalk 1400 & 92.3 WOND radio. Known for his concise and impactful delivery, he ensures listeners and readers stay informed without unnecessary filler.









