Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to relocate their family to the United Kingdom after spending six years in California, a move that has prompted speculation about what led the couple to reverse course on their American residence.
News emerged on Wednesday, August 19, that the couple plans to move their children to the U.K. for an extended period beginning later this month. Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, are scheduled to start school there in September.
"It is clear their time in America did not go to plan," former royal butler Grant Harrold told Us Weekly. "We see that through the Netflix deal and some of their other commercial decisions. I think there are multiple factors at play. I suppose the dream life in the U.S. that they imagined didn't come off."
The couple's American chapter began with significant commercial ambitions. In 2020, Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, secured a multiyear agreement with Netflix valued at $100 million to develop television shows and films. However, the streaming platform terminated its partnership with Meghan's lifestyle brand, As Ever, in March following two seasons of With Love, Meghan.
Harrold, 48, who previously served King Charles III and now works as a British etiquette expert and broadcaster, emphasized that such relocations are not uncommon, though this particular decision carries heightened public scrutiny.
"This happens to people all the time," Harrold told Us Weekly. "Many move abroad and then change their minds and move back. It just happens that this certain decision is incredibly public."
The family will maintain their residence in Montecito, California, along with a vacation property in Portugal, while establishing non-royal accommodations in Britain. Meghan intends to continue managing her lifestyle brand from their international base while exploring a return to acting. Harry plans to dedicate more time to supporting charities and patronages based in the United Kingdom.
Harrold expressed optimism that senior members of the royal family, particularly King Charles III, received advance notice of the relocation plans. The 77-year-old monarch and his son have reportedly been working to improve their relationship in recent months.
"We know Harry and the king have been working on their relationship for the last few months. Even if it was only confirmed [to Charles over] the weekend, I would like to think there has been back and forth between them," Harrold, who is a partner of OLBG, told Us Weekly. "I think Harry would have taken his dad's advice on aspects of the move and taken his pointers. Harry knows that doing this behind his dad's back would cause more upset, and I imagine he's doing everything he can to keep things sweet at the moment."

About the Author
Ava Hart
Ava Hart is a pop culture junkie and loves to share what's happening in Hollywood and what trends are taking the world by storm.









